Thursday, January 20, 2011

Janette MacKinlay on December 9th, 2010, RIP



       The last time I saw Janette MacKinlay was about two years ago at her home up on Ridgewood Drive, where she served me
 the heartiest most delicious vegetarian, home-cooked meal of Soup, bread, and salad. Then she offered me, and I ate, her exquisitely delicate home-baked cookies. The meal is memorable not only for the wonderful quality of the food, but even more because we had fairly recently written memoirs (hers about her experience on 9/11/2001 living across the street from the World Trade Center), which we were exchanging and talking about the entire day. On that day we filled in the gaps of our entire life histories. On that day she also purchased a necklace I had made right off my neck, at a time when I was sorely in need of cash. That is how I will always think of Janette, to me she was giving of herself first and foremost, and generous materially as well.
       I first met Jeanette when she owned and operated The Art Club Gallery in the Fruitvale section of Oakland. The Gallery was a converted movie theater at least 50-60 years old. Janette lived there, adventurous one that she was. There she offered and made possible Dreams, Shadows, and Archeologies, an exhibition including two other artists and myself, Lemora Martin, and Long Nguyen. The friendship between Lemora, Long and me fast became a friendship and long association with Janette, who I confess I wish I had seen more of over the years. I will miss knowing that Janette is living among us, the world will miss her creativity and generosity.

In searching through my emails for the exact date of Janette's death, I accidentally skipped to "oldest" to find one of the first messages on facebook from Janette dated from about 3 years ago:Janette wrote on your Wall:


In searching through my emails for the exact date of Janette's death, I accidentally skipped to "oldest" to find one of the first messages on facebook from Janette dated from about 3 years ago:

No comments: